Deep Politics for Lunch

deepRecently, a number of influential authors and researchers into the nature of democracy and the security state gathered for lunch at the home of Peter Dale Scott, who’s credited with coining the phrase “deep politics.”

They are pictured below, from left: Scott; WhoWhatWhy Editor-in-Chief Russ Baker; Salon founder and media entrepreneur David Talbot; celebrated Pentagon Papers whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg; and former Washington Post editor and reporter Jefferson Morley. (Scott has contributed to the pages of WhoWhatWhy; and Talbot and Ellsberg are on our Editorial Advisory Council):

123

Click to Enlarge

What each man shares is authorship of at least one book investigating the shrouded history of the U.S. and the deeper connections at work behind our politics and wars. Besides the vegetarian lunch, the group compared notes and discussed the present condition of the “deep state.”

Here are some of the works produced by the authors that we think you’ll enjoy reading:

–  Scott is the author of American War Machine: Deep Politics, the CIA Global Drug Connection, and the Road to Afghanistan

–  Baker wrote Family of Secrets: The Bush Dynasty, America’s Invisible Government, and the Hidden History of the Last Fifty Years

–  Talbot penned Brothers: The Hidden History of the Kennedy Years

–  Ellsberg is the author of Secrets: A Memoir of Vietnam and the Pentagon Papers

–  Morley wrote Our Man in Mexico: Winston Scott and the Hidden History of the CIA

16 responses to “Deep Politics for Lunch”

1. Title

[…]Here is a superb Weblog You may Come across Intriguing that we Encourage You[…]

2. Maxime Chaix says:

Seeing those great minds having a thoughtful lunch is just wonderful. They are the intellectual resistance against war, corruption and oppression. I urge you to read the next Peter Dale Scott’s book! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1442214244/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d7_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0MGT7N5J9F4B1YD8NPVJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

3. Reed says:

I wish Daniel had more to say about the Kennedy assassination. Watergate was important but what about the CIA involvement in JFK’s murder? Wasn’t this an important part of Nixon’s leverage in the White House, and why he was let off the hook soeasily?

4. ICFubar says:

So-oh tell us about the conversations that took place over lunch already.

5. dyannne says:

Thank you for the book list. I’ve read only three of these, so this will keep me busy for awhile. Love Daniel Ellsberg! And Salon was a favorite of mine from the beginning.

6. tosman says:

“I’m more interested in what they’ve done, as opposed to what they’ve written. In other words, actions speak louder than words. Obama has been speaking, teaching and writing all his life…”

Question: Ed Snowden’s biggest critics often invoke your name and invoke it in a positive way and try to contrast what you did with what Ed Snowden he did. How does that make you feel?

Daniel Ellsberg answers: 14:39 well this bullshit in a way started with Barack Obama…and Kerry said “well ellsberg just put out information that was historical you know three years old” – Well if I had had the current documents I would not have bothered to put out history. My interest was not in setting the record straight, in history, my interest was in ending a war:

Unlike Ellsberg, Jeff Morley has a moratorium of any events/documents less than 40 years old. Relating anything like assassinations or Bay of Pigs to something more recent is prohibited on his 60’s website (jfkfacts).

7. McFerguson says:

I’m more interested in what they’ve done, as opposed to what they’ve written. In other words, actions speak louder than words. Obama has been speaking, teaching and writing all his life, most of it nonsense, and the world is aflame in it’s aftermath. Because nothing he’s said was true, and everything he’s actually done has turned into a disaster.

• Tosman says:

“I’m more interested in what they’ve done, as opposed to what they’ve written. ”

These two guys have done some interesting stuff.
      Ray Nowosielski is a Filmmaker and Edward Snowden needs no introduction:
      [HOPE X] A Conversation with Edward Snowden:

[HOPE X] Unmasking a CIA Criminal:

• gustave courbet says:

I would suggest that the disparity between Obama’s words and his actions as president represent the PR requirements for placating the public while his administration’s policies represent the status quo. That may be a disaster for you and I, but suits those creating the policy just fine. I would add that the people in the above gathering (with the exception of Ellsberg) aren’t activists, but analysts, dedicated to helping others understand the world so that they may act in an informed manner.

• Man on the street says:

Obama’s agenda is well known because he sympathizes with racists, communists, Islamists. The bigger issue is looking at the American politics as whole with no reference to the Democrats or the Republicans because both are guilty.

8. jandeen says:

Add Farrell and Lavenda and you have a real congress.

9. Wildemind says:

There are a multitude of people including myself who would wish to be a fly on the wall like Burnis says to hear the conversation of these maverick writers. How about really doing this? A video over lunch (or better yet, over drinks!) I would pay good money for that. Far more interesting than the individual stories is how they all fit together. Let’s make it so!

10. Burnis Tuck says:

Wow! To have been a “fly-on-the-wall” at this lunch gathering, but then I wouldn’t want to be caught “bugging” this bunch…;-) I don’t suppose the lunch was video-taped? I’d love to hear what you folks had to say. Guess I’ll have to read more of those books…

11. Cirz says:

I’ve also read most of these books.

I’m so envious of your being able to speak with these men in person!

What enlightening conversation must have ensued.

We keep thinking that if we get enough like-minded people together that we can change our world.

I’m glad you all are making an effort and know many others who desire the same results.

12. walter says:

well, yes, serious minds – but what got discussed, what insights, what was said?

13. marypretzels says:

What an impressive group! I have read at least one book by each one of you. THAT would have been a very interesting table to sit at.